CEFS Alarms

02Oct

Many people don't realise the serious effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. You can't see it, smell it or taste it so how do you know it's there? 


 Carbon monoxide is produced from the incomplete burning of natural gases which can happen anywhere a gas appliance has either been incorrectly fitted or maintained. Carbon monoxide can also be present in other solid fuels such as coal, wood and petrol.

When you breathe in this gas, it replaces oxygen in your blood stream which can cause long term effects and even brain damage! A lot of people do not realise this and therefore do not have appropriate detection fitted either at home or at work.

This detection is vital in finding even small amounts of carbon monoxide. The alarms are similar in design to smoke alarms and can be purchased from most DIY stores and supermarkets. These detection devices should be installed in every room where there may be a gas appliance or risk of exposure and anywhere fuel is burned. It certainly pays to spend a small amount on these detectors when they could save your life.

If you believe you have a carbon monoxide leak, or suffer from the main symptoms shown below, turn off all gas appliances and open all doors/windows where possible and see your GP!

You can speak to a member of the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.


 

These are the main symptoms to look out for:

carbon-monox-708x344.jpg

Photo credit (gassaferegister.co.uk)